Authors: Keith Robertson

The CSU softball team traveled back across I-25 Tuesday night steaming. Not the kind of steam that normally is emitted from Greeley – this time the Rams stunk of victory.

CSU played two games against the University of Northern Colorado Bears, winning 3-0 and 10-4. The doubleheader wins give the Rams a sweep on the season series, as they beat UNC two weeks ago in Fort Collins.

“We played really well,” head coach Mary Yori said. “We’ve been playing pretty good ball and we’re happy about that.”

The Rams controlled the first game from Jump Street, never losing the lead and not giving up any runs, despite a few errors.

CSU started their young ace, Kelli Eubanks (10-9), in the circle for the first game. And the 5-foot-11 pitcher was able to toss a complete game and earned her fourth shutout of the season.

“Kelli threw really well,” said Yori. “She got outs when she needed them. She didn’t get a lot of base runners right away, but when she did she was able to get some good pitches and some good outs.”

The score points to a dominating CSU performance; however the second game of the day was one full of excitement.

The Rams took the lead 2-0 before the Bears were able to score two runs to tie the game. CSU kept their horns high and got another run, but again the Bears were able score another run to tie it 3-3.

The Rams were able to blow it open in the later innings, eventually giving them the 10-4 victory.

“Actually the second game was very competitive. (It went) back and forth for the first four innings and it was blown open in the sixth and seventh,” Yori said.

It may have taken most of the season but the Rams look like they have gotten back on track at the plate. The team has put up 20 runs on its way to a three-game winning streak.

“We hit the ball really well. Our offense really clicked,” Yori said. “Overall we played two really solid games.”

The Rams didn’t look past UNC in their preparation but are now looking to the future. They have only five more games, all against MWC rivals, so they know that with the momentum of their winning streak behind them and the tough games that lie ahead they will need to lay it all out the next two weeks.

“Our kids are just trying to empty the tank and give it all they got,” said Yori. “We had good effort today and we are just trying to build on that one game at a time.”

The Rams will head to south to New Mexico this Saturday to battle the Lobos at 4 p.m., a game that will be broadcast on The Mtn. television network.

Softball beat writer Keith Robertson can be reached at sports@collegian.com.