Authors: Madeline Novey

CSU student Mohammed Alsukairi was charged with sexually assaulting a child, authorities said Tuesday.

The 24-year-old business graduate student remains in custody in Boulder County Jail with bond set at $50,000.

A date for his preliminary hearing was unknown as of Tuesday afternoon, spokesperson for the Boulder County District Attorney’s Office Catherine Olguin said.

Private Defense Attorney Colin Bresee represented Alsukairi at the hearing held in the Boulder County Jail courtroom with County Court Judge Care Enichen presiding over the case.

Alsukairi was jailed Thursday on suspicion of sexually assaulting a young Lafayette girl he met on MySpace, authorities said Monday.

He was arrested by the Lafayette Police Department Thursday evening after driving from Fort Collins to Lafayette believing he would meet the girl for a second time. Police collaborated with the girl and her family to stage the visit, authorities said.

Although few details have been released, authorities maintain a crime was committed.

“It was not consensual,” said Cmdr. Mark Battersby, a public information officer for the Lafayette Police Department.

The case started when the girl told the Lafayette Police Department that she met Alsukairi on MySpace and they messaged each other, eventually talking on the phone. After the two decided to meet, Alsukairi picked her up from her home and drove to a parking lot near 111 W. Baseline Rd. where he allegedly sexually assaulted the girl in his sedan.

The girl reported the incident to a middle school counselor on April 3, saying she was sexually assaulted on March 31.

Assistant News Editor Madeline Novey can be reached at news@collegian.com.