Authors: kelly bleck

In response to student surveys and committee debates, country artist Emerson Drive and Jeff Allen will take the Lory Student Center Theatre stage tonight at 7.p.m., brought by the Association for Student Activity Programming.

ASAP Concerts released the survey during fall semester, requesting feedback on which genres of music students wished to see on campus.

“The first choice was alternative and then country,” said Nathan Kogut, concerts coordinator for ASAP Concerts. “We went off of that and, with a committee, started researching country bands.”

Comprised of student volunteers recruited at the beginning of the year, the committee gave feedback and generated ideas for a variety of shows spanning multiple genres.

Conveniently Emerson Drive announced a campus tour to universities last semester.

“Their talent agency announced the fact that Emerson Drive was taking offers to perform in the spring at campuses across the country,” Kogut said. “Basically, the agency took offers from campuses, analyzed the dates and offers and thus decided on which to accept and decline.”

The Canadian band has worked with the National Association for Campus Activities since around 2005 and visited CSU in April 2007.

“They were looking for some extra exposure since the college market is definitely who they appeal to,” said Misty Hurt from SPLASH! Public Relations, who represents the band. “They try to do a handful of college shows per year.”

Involvement in NACA led to a college campus tour but transformed into a few college campus concerts per year. In 2008 they were voted the Top Major Performer by NACA Magazine for their concerts.

Emerson Drive just recently released their fourth album, “Believe.” The five — Brad Mates (lead vocal), Dale Wallace (keyboards), Danick Dupelle (guitar), David Pichette (fiddle) and Mike Melancon (drums) — have earned multiple nominations, including a Grammy for Best Country Performance with Vocals by a Group or Duo, a top-5 hits and a number 1 single off their last album “Countrified.”

“There are people who are critically not fans, but they do a 180 when they see them perform,” Hurt said. “They’re unbelievably talented musicians. They could be playing in a cornfield, and they would be happy to be performing.”

Tickets are available for $15 with a valid CSU student ID and $30 for others from the Lory Student Center Box Office or CSUtix.com.

Staff writer Kelly Bleck can be reached at verve@collegian.com.