Track picks up win at home

Authors: Scott Callahan

Despite the cold chill of the day, the Colorado State track and field teams were victorious in both the men’s and women’s competitions at the annual Jack Christiansen Invite this weekend.

“The weather was not great, but our athletes stuck with it, and it turned out to be a good meet,” said head coach Brian Bedard. “We set a couple of personal bests today and had even walked away with some new [regional] qualifiers, so I was proud of the team.”

At home on Jack Christiansen Track, the Rams’ men scored a total of 121 points, while the women earned 132.5 points for the victory. The teams had 11 first-place finishes in 19 events scored, and both teams finished the meet in first-place overall.

Doug Dieker tied the third-highest pole vault mark in CSU history at 16 feet, 6.75 inches, a personal best for him.

In the shot put, Tyson Williams made a regional qualifying throw of 57 feet and 3 inches.

Meagan Berg (183 feet, 4 inches) and Leah Elmshauser (180 feet, 10 inches) finished in first and second in the hammer throw, with both making regional qualifying marks.

Four-year football starter Jeff Horinek, competing in track and field for his last semester of eligibility, took third-place in the shot put (53 feet, 9 inches) and finished as the top collegiate finisher in the discus with a throw of 162 feet.

Sisters Tanesha Johnson and Serena Johnson were part of dominant performances in front of the home crowd. TaneshaJohnson walked away with a pair of wins in the 100-meter dash (12.01 seconds) and the triple-jump (39 feet, 6.5 inches), while Serena Johnson was the third place finisher in the women’s hammer throw.

“All of the athletes competed very well,” Bedard said. “They all had a positive attitude and did a good, nice job.”

CSU had also sent a small group of runners to the Oregon Relays at Hayward Field in Eugene, Ore. In 2010, Hayward Field will welcome the NCAA Outdoor Championships for the 10th time since 1962 — the most of any venue in modern history.

Of the CSU athletes that traveled, five of them made regional qualifying marks in the men’s steeplechase — a 3,000-meter run with obstacles such as hurdles and water pits.

Freshman Spenser Lynass finished in second place in 9:04 and sophomore Jake Keyser finished in third place at 9:06.

Nicole Peters followed suit and posted a regional-qualifying time in the women’s 5,000-meter run with a time of 16:44.04, while Wil Buchanan (1:50.96) and Ryan Friese (1:51.31) also hit regional marks with first and second-place finishes, respectively, in the 800-meter run.

Track and field beat writer Scott Callahan can be reached at sports@collegian.com.