Authors: Collegian Staff Report

The CSU softball team turned an ugly weekend around on Sunday, posting a 7-4 win over the San Diego State Aztecs on Senior Appreciation Day. Senior catcher Shannon Causgrove, pitcher Kim Klabough and third baseman Michelle Reynolds played their last home games as Rams and were honored by the team before the contest.

The Rams (22-22, 5-5 MWC) were making their last home stand of the season and will have seven consecutive road games to close out the year.

CSU split the weekend with SDSU, losing to the Aztecs (31-18, 8-2 MWC) 11-5 on Saturday. The team also lost on Friday to the UNLV Rebels (27-17, 3-6 MWC), 7-6, thanks to a two-out grand slam in the bottom of the seventh inning by UNLV’s Ashli Holland.

The Rams were carried to victory Sunday by the bats of shortstop Caitlan Stem and leftfielder Rebecca Penland, who each hit homeruns in the win. Stem and Penland finished the game a combined 4-7 with six RBIs and three runs scored.

In the circle, the Rams were led by freshman Kelli Eubanks, who earned the win after 5.1 innings of work in which she allowed just one run on three hits. She also picked up five strikeouts in the effort.

The Rams will head to Greeley Tuesday for a 3 p.m. doubleheader against the Northern Colorado Bears. The next Mountain West Conference action for CSU comes Saturday in Albuquerque, N.M. when the rams go head-to-head against the New Mexico Lobos. The game will be televised on the Mtn.