Authors: Collegian Staff Report

The CSU men’s golf team bounced back from back-to-back seventh place finishes to come to within nine strokes of winning a school-record sixth tournament of the year this weekend.

The Rams shot 13 under as a team to take second on the par-72, 6,902-yard Riverside Country Club in Provo, Utah.

BYU’s 22-under-par performance gave them the win on their home course. Idaho finished the tournament behind CSU in third shooting 10 under, while Boise State and New Mexico State tied for fourth shooting 8 under.

CSU ended the first two rounds Friday afternoon in fifth place, shooting 2 under as a team, but with an 11 under in Saturday afternoon’s final round, the Rams jumped three spots in the rankings.

The biggest factor for the Rams Saturday afternoon was junior Riley Arp.

Arp shot a season-low of 7 under to lead the Rams in the individual rankings in fourth place.

Taking home the individual title was Matt McArthur of Southern Utah, shooting 11 under par.

Three Ram golfers, including Arp, finished in the top 10. Junior Dustin Morris shot 5 under for the tournament to finish tied for the eighth spot. Freshman Zahkai Brown, competing as an individual, placed in a three-way tie for 10th, shooting 4 under.

Brown’s older brother, senior Zen Brown, was the final Ram golfer to shoot under par, with a 2-under-par performance.

Junior Bryce Hanstad and sophomore Ryan Peterson both shot an even par in the final round to finish the Cougar Classic tied for 34th place at 5 over par.

The second place finish for the Rams was their seventh top-five finish of the season.

Up next for CSU will be the MWC Championship beginning Thursday in Tucson, Ariz.