Authors: Collegian Staff Report

The CSU men’s golf team travels to Provo, Utah this weekend to compete in the Cougar Classic today and Saturday against 15 schools.

Competing on the par-72, 6,902-yard Riverside Country Club will be five Mountain Conference schools: tournament host BYU, CSU, Air Force, Utah, and Wyoming.

For CSU, senior Zen Brown, junior Bryce Hanstad, junior Dustin Morris, junior Riley Arp and sophomore Ryan Peterson will tee off in the 54-hole, two-day tournament. Freshman Zahkai Brown will compete as an individual.

The Rams come into the tournament ranked No. 21 in the nation, first in the MWC, and are likely to receive an invitation to play in the NCAA tournament beginning on May 14.

Morris is atop the MWC in stroke average, with a 71.11 average. Morris’s teammate Hanstad is second in the conference in stroke average, shooting an average round of 71.31.

The rest of the CSU golfers are among the top-10 in stroke average as well. The Brown brothers, Zen and Zahkai, are ranked fifth and sixth with teammate Arp in seventh.

The only non-CSU golfers ranked in the top-10 in the MWC are Tom Whitney of Air Force and Eddie Olson of UNLV.

The Cougar Classic is the final regular season tournament for the Rams until competition begins for the Mountain West Conference championship on April 30.

So far this season, the Rams tied the record for most school tournament victories with five wins in a single season after taking first in the Barona Collegiate Cup.

Tee off for the first two rounds is set to begin Friday morning at 8 a.m. The Cougar Classic will conclude Saturday afternoon.