A Gladiator Gala

Authors: Matt L. Stephens

When someone thinks of Colorado State Ram football, his or her mind generally drifts to Saturday afternoons at Hughes Stadium in the fall — not to the recruiting coaches do during the off-season; not to two-a-days in August and, in this case, not to slam dunk and weightlifting competitions. But tonight, the Rams are hosting an evening of fun at Moby Arena that will allow fans to see the football team in another light.

Tonight at 6 p.m. the CSU football team is putting on their second annual Rams Superstars Competition, which is meant to signify the end of spring drills and the start of summer for the program.

Head football coach Steve Fairchild made it a point to encourage the CSU student body to come out and attend this event.

“Students would have a blast coming over here and watching it,” Fairchild said. “The guys put their jerseys on, we have a big spot light, an M.C., and the players compete.”

“The best thing about it last year was afterwards, the crowd came down and had a chance to interact with our football team and sign autographs and really just stand there for a half-hour and talk to our team, and I thought that was a cool deal. That’s why we’re doing it again.”

Tonight’s events include a slam-dunk contest, a weight lifting competition, tug-of-war and even jousting, much like they had on American Gladiators in the 1990s. But what makes things even more interesting is that the offense competes against the defense, two sides of the ball who have a rivalry like many brothers have when fighting in the backyard.

Other than bragging rights, what are they fighting for? The winners will be served steaks for dinner by the losing team while the losers will be forced to eat “franks and beans.”

There’s no fee for parking or entry, so fans can come and go as they please and watch their school’s football team have a night of light-hearted fun as well as a casual meet-and-greet. Doors open at 5:30 p.m.

Football beat writer Matt Stephens can be reached at sports@collegian.com.