Authors: Ryan Sheine

To potentially avoid getting a noise violation from the police, students can register their parties with the Party Warning Program through Off-Campus Student Services during its five-week trial run, which started Friday and runs until Saturday, May 16.

While coordinators said they would not decide whether to make the program a permanent city feature until after evaluating its success following the trial, they said they hope the initiative will ultimately help students avoid contact with the police and party responsibly.

“We want to give tips and education for students for partying responsibly and avoiding personal contact with law enforcement,” said CSU’s Community Liaison Coordinator Melissa Emerson.

“Students who have been through this process have been very supportive,” Emerson said. “We hope to reduce the time in quieting a noisy party, reduce the number of calls police have to respond to, help students party responsibly, and help students prevent confrontation with the law.”

Off-Campus Student Services is working closely with the City of Fort Collins and Fort Collins Police Department to develop the program.

To register a party, students should go to Off-Campus Student Services located on the north side of the main level of the Lory Student Center. An employee with OCSS will ask for:

The date of the party,

The home address,

E-mail and

A phone number and an emergency alternative phone number.

The program goes into action when the police receive a noise complaint. The police will cross check the house to see if it is hosting a registered party. If the house has a registered party then the police will call the supplied phone number to give the host a simple warning.

Students are expected to disband their parties within 20 minutes of receiving the warning because this is the general amount of time it takes cops to break up a party.

If a second noise compliant is called in, two officers will go to the party to break it up and issue noise violations.

Anyone can register as many parties as they want, but after a student receives one warning that student may not register another party in the future.

Students who received prior noise violations suggested the idea for the program while attending Party Partner classes sponsored by the university. During the class, which was proctored by two police officers and a counselor, students often said they would have simply ended their parties if they were issued a warning beforehand.

“This is a collaborative effort between the school, the police department and the city,” Emerson said. “It’s very exciting to try this pilot program.”

When students register they may choose to receive a “party pack” that includes recipes for non-alcoholic drinks, paper notices to give to your neighbors, a T-shirt, safety tips and a party brochure on how to party responsibly.

Students said they agree with the benefits of the program and hope to see its permanent implementation in the future.

“It’s a good idea to give notification before giving a ticket,” said Michael Lichtbach, a freshman mechanical engineering major. “It will help keep parties under control and save money and aggravation for students and cops.”

“But I also just don’t want cops knowing I’m having a party,” Lichtbach said. “If there is a party, they may know there could be underage drinking.”

Staff writer Ryan Sheine can be reached at news@collegian.com.