Authors: Scott Callahan

Both the men and the women of the CSU track and field team return home victorious today after challenging the Cowboys in Wyoming Duals. The Rams won the majority of the events to win the head-to-head competition.

The duals were postponed one day because of weather and were instead held on Sunday. Head coach Brian Bedard said that the weather was nice, despite the soggy ground after the snowfall.

“There was a lot of snow and they had a grounds crew working hard to make it happen, but it was a very pleasant day to compete,” he said. “It was better than being cancelled.”

The men’s team competed in a true dual against UW, but the women’s team competed in a triangular meet with UW and Utah.

Within the numerous victories were a series of personal achievements for the Rams. The dynamic duo of runners Ryan Friese and Wil Buchanan both reached regional qualification marks in the 800-meter event.

Friese crossed the line first at 1:49 and Buchanan was right behind him at 1:50.

The women had their own trio that stood out this weekend as well. Nicole Peters, Kendra Girk and Ellie Rastall all made a good team in the 3000-meter run. Peters was the only one to finish under ten minutes.

Also setting records was Nigel Joeseph in the 110-meter hurdles, finishing just a hair over 14 seconds. On the women’s side, Missy Faubus left her mark at UW. She set the new track record in the shot put, throwing her weighted ball 15.78-meters.

New addition to the track and field team and former linebacker for the football team Jeff Horinek showed his ability to adapt to the sport when he placed in second in the shot put and in the discus.

Bedard said that Horinek is making impressive improvements in a short time frame.

“(Horinek) hasn’t hit the regional mark yet, but he has gotten pretty darn close to the regional mark,” he said.

The meet will give the team confidence and momentum, helping to carry the team into to the following weeks of the season, coach Bedard said.

“This was a good meet that leads us into the multis and the home meets this weekend and some other big meets coming up,” he said.

Track and field beat writer Scott Callahan can be reached at sports@collegian.com.