Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

While the weather might have rained enough stopped the annual spring game, it couldn’t keep the CSU Rams off the field.

Determined to get in their 14 practice of the spring season, the Rams played through the rain Saturday morning, entertaining a crowd of nearly 50 loyal fans scattered throughout the west bleachers at Hughes stadium. After warm ups and drills, the CSU changed gears, running 50-minute scrimmage that pitted the offense verse the defense.

Wide receiver Rashaun Greer was impressive during the scrimmage, reaching the end zone early after a 52 yard hand off from quarterback Grant Stucker. The Greer’s display of speed coupled with a solid passing performance from Stucker was just enough to lead the Rams offense to victory, as they sneaked past the defense, picking up a 40-38.

CSU head coach Steve Fairchild had no regrets about the decision to practice despite playing in a steady stream of rain.

“I didn’t see a whole lot of slipping and the ball was dry most of the time,” he said. “I thought we got a lot done. Obviously we have to improve but we got a lot done.”

Defensive coordinator Larry Kerr agreed that the team needed to get a practice in Saturday. The second year CSU coordinator added the weather didn’t affect the players very much.

“Maybe the weather jazzed them up a little bit,” Kerr said. “The cooler it is, the nicer for players because they don’t wear out as quick. Hot or cold you have to be ready to play and have fun. It shouldn’t really matter what the weather is like.”

Stucker, a senior, said he liked playing at full speed and contact, and explained that it’s times like Saturday’s scrimmage that the Rams learn the most about themselves.

“When you get those live periods you really find out what type of team you are,” he said. “You see which guys can bounce back from adversity and what guys can make plays. You just start learning more and more about your football team.”

Injury Report-

The Rams took part in a costly goal line drill minutes before scrimmaging. Defensive linemen Sevaro Johnson and tight end Norman Gee both went down with injuries during the hard hitting drill. Fairchild expects Gee (ankle) will return for summer ball but feared it might take more time for Johnson who left the field on a cart after hurting his knee.