Authors: kelly bleck

When strapped for money, the last job someone would usually think about picking is cleaning up crime scenes. And that’s the first thing Rose Lorkowski chose.

A single mom who previously worked for a cleaning company and who, along with her quirky sister and unusual father, handled the suicide of her mother when she was young, Rose (Amy Adams) turns to cleaning up death when times get tough.

A unique script, the comedic yet tragic “Sunshine Cleaning” explores the minds and decisions that make life overbearing for a hard working, single mother.

Oscar (Jason Spevack) makes life difficult on his mother Rose seemingly because of his high level of intelligence. Trying to understand the world, Oscar stands out in his school, making trouble for the teachers. Instead of thinking he is smart, they believe he has issues, and, in the end, his mother takes him out of school.

Spevack portrays a troubled youngster well, making him a substantial addition to the cast. The love expressed between him and Rose, as well as Rose’s sister, Norah (Emily Blunt), adds a new level of family understanding to the characters.

Because of the troubles concerning her son, Rose is forced to find a new means of income. Unfortunate circumstances such as the affair with her ex-high school sweetheart lead her to the well-paying career of cleaning crime scenes.

The trials Rose and Norah endure, like the technicalities of the business, friendships and familial issues. Winston, who Rose meets along the way, expands the story line the family must traverse through and helps define the difficulties Norah has experienced throughout her life.

Rose creates a personality that connects to most every viewer. She is a personable character that the audience can sympathize with. This helps make the movie an enjoyable experience rather than something they viewers simply deal with.

Personality traits brought out through each character’s actions help develop the story. The grandfather (Alan Arkin) is stubborn, putting faith in unreliable sources of income and his “business skills” to support himself. But in the end he is someone who can be relied on to help his daughter when seriously in need.

The relationship that unexpectedly develops between Norah and a daughter of one of the victims, Lynn (Mary Lynn Rajskub), adds a twist. This story line focuses on Norah and her reaction to her mother’s suicide and how her life has been shaped since then.

Each cast member adds his or her individual interpretation of the characters to the script, creating an original and enticing movie.

Staff writer Kelly Bleck can be reached at verve@collegian.com.