Authors: Collegian Staff Report

CSU announced its official campaign to replace former police chief Dexter Yarbrough Wednesday, just more than a month after the embattled law enforcement officer resigned March 9 after CSU commissioned a Colorado Bureau of Investigation probe into his conduct.

Brad Bohlander, CSU’s chief spokesperson said in a press release that interim CSU President Tony Frank commissioned the 11-person committee, chaired by Vice President of Student Affairs Blanche Hughes, for the national search.

The committee, which includes members of the CSU Police Department and university legal counsel, plans to have the new chief hired by the time classes start in the fall.

It plans to hold public opinion forums for position candidates and be open to suggestions from the Fort Collins and CSU communities for possible contenders.

Interim CSU police chief Frank Johnson will continue to lead the department until a new chief is hired, according to the release.

Yarbrough, whose $156,000-a-year salary made him the highest-paid law enforcement officer in the state, was the subject of a separate Collegian investigation that found the chief had used intimidation in his conduct with employees.

The investigation also found that Yarbrough had encouraged his students in a criminal investigations class, some of whom were aspiring police officers, to use dangerous and possibly illegal tactics when conducting criminal investigations.

Last month, the university release document logs that showed two CSUPD employees had filed sexual harassment complaints against the chief before he resigned.