Authors: Stephen Lin

Amid massive funding cuts stemming from a sour economy, a large number of CSU employees, including those in administrative positions, are interested in taking substantial pay cuts for next year, a university official said last week.

Brad Bohlander, the university’s chief spokesperson, said feedback that the President’s Cabinet has received this semester showed many on campus were willing to take voluntary pay cuts or furloughs to address budget concerns.

“There seems to be a great deal of interest and willingness among many people on campus, including several Cabinet members, in taking some level of voluntary cut if it would really do some good and help prevent others from losing their jobs.”

He said information about those that volunteered would be kept confidential.

“Such an offer is a personal decision, and no official university decisions have been made,” he said. “We will not be releasing names of those who have offered to take a salary reduction.”

A recent search by the Collegian revealed that out of 6,249 university employees, there are 585 faculty or staff members who make more than $100,000 annually, while 26 receive more than $200,000.

This year’s Salary Increase Exercise for 2008 to 2009 showed that the university paid $247,824,236 total for employee salaries.

Employees in these figures include academic faculty and administrative-professional staff.

Among the top-paid employees are current football coach Steve Fairchild, who makes $350,000 and Interim CSU President Tony Frank, who makes $330,000.

The top-earning faculty member in the group is Barry Beaty, a university distinguished professor in microbiology who makes $266,280 annually.

A report released this week by the American Association of University Professors ranks CSU professors’ salaries lower than those of 80 percent of doctoral universities in the U.S.

The report also places associate and assistant professors’ salaries between the 20th and 40th percentile.

Among 10 peer institutions listed on CSU’s Web site, CSU ranks third in average faculty salaries, seventh in professors’ salaries, sixth in associate professors’ salaries, and sixth in assistant professors’ salaries.

The AAUP report “calls on faculty now more than ever to take an active role in collaborative decision making on institutional spending, to examine critically the claims of administrations and legislature alike regarding the financial situation of higher education, and to raise questions about the inevitability and the advisability of cuts to faculty salaries and positions.”

Staff reporter Stephen Lin can be reached at news@collegian.com.