Rams softball breaks even

Authors: Keith Robertson

The Colorado State softball team (18-20, 2-3 MWC) traveled west this weekend to play three games in as many days against two Mountain West Conference rivals.

The Rams first traveled to sunny California to play second place San Diego State (27-13, 4-0 MWC). The first three innings ended with neither team gaining a run. However, freshman pitcher Kelli Eubanks, who had four strikeouts, could not hold off the powerful Aztec offense.

At the bottom of the forth, Aztec Monica Alnes got her first of two singles and gave San Diego State the lead they never relinquished. The Rams had an opportunity to get some runs late in the game but couldn’t cash in and ultimately fell 5-0.

Freshman Jenna Krogh was a bright spot for the Rams in the loss, going 2-3 with two infield singles.

The next evening the Rams took on UNLV (24-14, 1-3) in Las Vegas. The Rams went 4-0 against the Rebels last season and looked to keep their dominance.

The Rams never fell behind on Saturday and scored their first two runs on back-to-back doubles by juniors Rebecca Penland and Allison Majam.

The Rams added two more runs for good measure in the top of seventh to end the game at 4-1.

Freshman Dani Chaplin was credited with the win for her sixth victory of the season. Eubanks came in for the final two innings to record three strikeouts and her first save of the season.

Sunday’s game didn’t prove to be as fortunate for the Rams. The Rebels controlled the game from Jump Street, scoring nine runs in the first two innings. The good fortune of Las Vegas appeared in the third when Caitlan Stem crossed the plate on an infielder’s error.

It seemed that the Rams had more Vegas luck up their sleeves as Ashley Munoz hit a three-run homer in fifth, but when the chips were down the Rams couldn’t pull off the win. Munoz’s hit ended up being the last useful card in CSU’s hand and the game finished with the house winning 12-4.

The Rams will return home to play a make-up game against in-state rival Northern Colorado Tuesday. The first pitch is scheduled for 3 p.m. at Ram Field.

Softball beat writer Keith Robertson can be reached at sports@collegian.com.