Rams finish 8th in America

Authors: Justin Warren

The CSU men’s golf team concluded the Thunderbird Invitational in Tucson, Ariz., with a 1-under-par final round Saturday to give the Rams eighth place.

CSU concluded the first 36 holes tied for 12th place, shooting 14 over par Friday afternoon on the par-71, 7,057-yard Karsten Golf Course.

“I was pretty disappointed in our first round play,” head coach Jamie Bermel said. “We were pretty rusty after a few weeks off. But we played pretty well in wind in the second round and played well today, just not quite as sharp as we’d have liked to.”

Tournament host Arizona State dominated on their home course, shooting 14 under par to take the victory in the Thunderbird Invitational.

Mountain West Conference foe San Diego State and in-state rival University of Denver tied for second place, with both programs shooting 4 over par, while TCU finished fourth with a 5-over-par performance. UC-Irvine and Arizona rounded out the top five shooting 6 over par.

Stephan Gross of Arizona State and Steve Saunders of New Mexico both won the individual honors, shooting 3 under par.

Senior Zen Brown finished the tournament the leading scorer for the Rams and tied for 16th place among the individuals with a 1-over-par performance in the tournament after shooting 2-under Saturday afternoon.

“Zen had a nice tournament for us and seems to always help the team,” coach Bermel said.

Junior Dustin Morris’ 3 over par for the tournament tied him for the 25th place. Morris battled back from a slow start in Saturday’s round to shoot five birdies in his final holes.

Junior Riley Arp was the third highest finishing CSU golfer, tied for 32nd place with his 4-over-par total.

Junior Bryce Hanstad and sophomore Justin Spray each finished outside the top 50. Hanstad shot a total of 9 over to tie for 67th place and Spray’s three round total of 16 over tied him for 87th.

The Rams have one more tournament, the Cougar Classic in Provo, Utah, starting April 24, before heading back to Tucson on April 30 for the MWC Championship.

Golf beat writer Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.