Authors: Elyse Jarvis

The CSU System chancellor search committee convened Wednesday to review more than 12 applicants for the chancellor position, determining that each of the contenders meets the requirements of the just-created role.

Applicant names will not be released until the committee selects a likely one finalist for the CSU System Board of Governors’ review, said Michele McKinney, BOG spokesperson.

According to state law, finalists must be announced publicly prior to the chancellor’s hiring, which is set to occur before the next fiscal year begins on July 1, McKinney said.

The search committee will meet later this month to additionally evaluate several last-minute applications.

The 15-member panel, made up of CSU alumni and local political and business heads, met to receive its charge from BOG chair Doug Jones last month, where it also determined that it will keep the position open until it is filled, McKinney said.

The chancellor position is one that was officially created early this year in an effort to station a system head in Denver at all times. CSU-Fort Collins presidents traditionally maintained both roles.

Taylor Smoot and David Fresquez, presidents of the Associated Students of CSU and the Associated Students’ Government, respectively, contested the BOG’s committee selections last month, insisting that a student voice be present in the hiring process.

The request was not granted, as McKinney said search proceedings had already begun. She said Smoot and Fresquez — who both sit on as ex-oficio members — will be charged with representing campus students when the board hears finalist recommendations.

News Managing Editor Elyse Jarvis can be reached at news@collegian.com.