Authors: Ian Mahan

Chicago has long been known for its ability to produce bands with a great pop-punk sensibility. However few bands, no matter where they reside, have the ability to produce hit after hit plus clothing lines and record labels as part of their musical empire.

In the greatest sense of the phrase, Chicago’s biggest sensation Fall Out Boy has “sold out.” But according to their fourth studio album “Folie A Deux,” that’s just fine with them.

The first single off the album, “I Don’t Care,” exemplifies the band’s newly found swagger as vocalist Patrick Stump sings, “I don’t care what you think, as long as it’s about me .” over a guitar riff that sounds like it belongs on an AC/DC album.

“What A Catch, Donnie,” showcases the bands ability to write a ballads and throws lines from all of their past singles at the listener during the final chorus.

Further down the album listing, “Tiffany Blews” allows fans everywhere to fall in love again with lyricist Pete Wentz’s ability to write infectiously catchy hooks, playing off of the classic movie star Audrey Hepburn with the line, “Oh baby, you’re a classic just like a little black dress. But you’ll be faded soon, stuck on a little hot mess .” The song also shows that the band isn’t afraid to call in connections, including Pharrell, who provided production on the track, and Lil’ Wayne, who loaned his auto-tuned voice to the bridge of the song.

“20 Dollar Nose Bleed,” finds Panic At The Disco front man Brendon Urie providing his vocals to the song, proving yet again that cameos really are the way to go in the music industry.

The final track on the album features Blondie singer Betty Harry lending her talents to the chorus and shows a bit of a religious reference with lyrics like: “Knock once for the father, twice for the son, three times for the holy ghost .”

Whether listeners find themselves a current fan, think the band has changed for the worst or has just discovering the sound, Fall Out Boy has enjoyed enormous success with their albums.

“Folie A Deux” proves to be their smartest, most intricately written album to date, showing they haven’t just building a fan base; they have built an empire.

Staff writer Ian Mahan can be reached at verve@collegian.com.