Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

It appears that, although our fair state is becoming increasingly blue, the government still doesn’t care about the children of scores of immigrants who immigrated to America illegally.

Even though these children offer a viable and much-needed workforce in the state, and it’s not their fault that they’re here, the Colorado Senate rejected a bill on Monday that would have provided them with in-state tuition rates for our colleges and universities.

The bill, written by Sen. Chris Romer, D-Denver, would have mandated that students who have attended at least three years of high school in Colorado and who have a diploma under their belt would pay the same rate as other in-state students at any public college regardless of their immigration status.

After more than four hours of debate, the Senate defeated the bill in a close 18-16 vote, with five progressive Democrats giving a thumbs down on the measure, citing hard fiscal times.

This move goes against a national trend as 10 other states have passed bills similar to this in recent years, according to news reports.

We at the Collegian view this as yet another example of the Colorado legislature’s staunch lack of commitment to higher education.

In striking down this bill, Colorado lawmakers are saying that the state favors a heavily uneducated minority population over the opportunity to foster a stronger economy and allow those affected by this issue to make better lives for themselves.