Authors: Madeline Novey

It was confirmed Tuesday that a 21-year-old CSU student and resident of Ingersoll Hall successfully committed suicide late Monday evening.

The Larimer County Coroner’s Office said evidence indicated that cause of death was a gunshot wound to the chest and approximate time of death was determined as “late p.m.”

Louis Greek, investigating coroner, said he could not release further details about the victim’s condition and that it could take between three to four weeks for the results of the toxicology report come back.

The CSU Police Department was called out to investigate a disturbance in the Ingersoll Hall parking lot and discovered the victim dead in a vehicle at about 8:15 p.m.

CSU spokesperson Dell Rae Moellenberg said the victim had enrolled at the university this semester and was a senior mathematics major.

Monday’s suicide follows the death of CSU freshman Kevin Heller, who was found dead at 900 Constitution Ave. last Thursday. The Larimer County Coroner’s Office said a cause of death will not be determined for between three to six weeks.

Joan Williams, CSU Police Department records manager, said there have been two successful suicides reported on campus since October 2004.

On July 26, 2008, CSU police found former student Matt Quitmeyer dead in the Summitt Hall parking lot. It was later determined that Quitmeyer shot himself with a rifle. Williams also confirmed a November 2005 hanging in Corbett Hall.

Moellenberg extended condolences from the university:

“To the family and friends of (the victim), Colorado State University extends it deepest condolences. Our thoughts are with you during this loss.”

Residence hall directors contacted their staffs early Tuesday morning, confirming the incident. Moellenberg and the directors are encouraging affected individuals to talk to counselors in the CSU Counseling Center.

“The university is concerned for all impacted by the loss of a university community member. The university’s counseling services are available to students and employees. Students can contact the University Counseling Center at 970-491-6053. The university also offers an Employee Assistance Program to university employees and their families. The program can be reached at 970-491-1527, and 24-hour assistance is available to employees through the program at 800-497-9133.”/

Assistant News Editor Madeline Novey can be reached at news@collegian.com.