Authors: Brian Lancaster

It’s really interesting — to me — to think about all the things that happen in the world around you that you never know about.

For example, I’m willing to bet that a majority of the members of this community did not know that the national president of a century-old fraternity was visiting campus over the weekend. But it happened.

You see, my fraternity, Phi Mu Alpha, hosted our province workshop at CSU this past weekend. Members from the chapters of province seven (Colorado and Kansas) all drove to Fort Collins to experience brotherhood and our fraternity at its finest. And our guest speaker was none other than our national president, Dr. Richard Crosby.

Over the weekend, we enjoyed a few social gatherings to get to know our fellow brothers, participated in discussions about the fraternity in general and sang – which is pretty much our forte – for multiple audiences, including our waitresses at Charco-Broiler.

Overall, it was a fantastic weekend. Exhausting, but fantastic.

And it was during this weekend that I made a very important realization: Joining a Greek organization is probably the best decision I have made in my entire college career. I feel like I am a part of a community. I have never felt closer to anyone than I do to my fraternity brothers, and without this close-knit group of friends, I would be lost.

My time in the fraternity and my experiences with Phi Mu Alpha are absolutely priceless. There are very few things in my life that I would value above my brothers and the connections and moments that we’ve shared together.

Everyone, I have this to say to you: If you are not a member of a Greek organization, why not? The Greek system is an amazing way to make lifelong friends and feel like you’re part of something so much bigger than yourself.

And let me say this, also: Not all fraternities or sororities are the stereotypical “Animal House” organization. Not all fraternity brothers are frat boys, and not all sorority sisters are sorostitutes. Greek organizations don’t all get drunk and trash hotels on weekends — we already have one of those on campus; we don’t need more.

Greek organizations have contributed countless hours and dollars to the community at large as part of their philanthropic mission.

With the plethora of Greek organizations on campus, I am sure that you can find the fraternity or sorority to suit you. I personally am a big fan of music, so I fit right in with the music fraternity, Phi Mu Alpha.

What I’m trying to get at here is that no matter what you want to get out of college or what you look for in friends or what your major is, there is a Greek organization for you. So get out there and try it out. Go to rush week. Experience some events with brothers or sisters, and get to know the ideals of the organization you’re looking at.

Not all the Greek organizations will be ideal for you, but you’ll know it when you find it.

And I highly doubt you will regret it.

Brian Lancaster is a senior English major. His column appears Wednesdays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.