Authors: Madeline Novey

The Larimer County Coroner’s Office said Monday the cause of death of a 20-year-old CSU student who died last week in Fort Collins has not yet been determined.

Maury Miller, the investigating coroner on the case, said the manner and cause of death of Kevin Heller are pending and that he could not provide further details regarding the case. He said it could take between three and six weeks for a final cause of death to be determined.

Fort Collins Police Services spokesperson Rita Davis confirmed Monday afternoon that Heller was pronounced dead on scene after police responded to a medical call at 900 Constitution Ave. The Larimer County coroner took over the case thereafter.

CSU spokesperson Dell Rae Moellenberg said Heller was an open option seeking business major and enrolled at CSU in Fall 2007. He was listed as a freshman based on overall credit hours.

Moellenberg confirmed that Heller lived off campus but said he had an address in Boulder listed on the university directory.

On behalf of the university, Moellenberg said in a statement:

“Colorado State University extends it deepest condolences to the family and friends of Mr. Heller. We know his family, and many students and members of the university community, are profoundly saddened by their loss. Our thoughts are with them during this time of difficulty.”

Moellenberg stressed the availability and importance of counseling resources on campus in an e-mail.

“The university is concerned for all impacted by the loss of a university community member. The university’s counseling services are available to students and employees. Students can contact the University Counseling Center at 970-491-6053. The university also offers an Employee Assistance Program to university employees and their families. The program can be reached at 970-491-1527, and 24-hour assistance is available to employees through the program at 800-497-9133.”

Assistant News Editor Madeline Novey can be reached at news@collegian.com.