Authors: Keith Robertson

The CSU water polo team went to Santa Clara, Calif. this weekend hoping to extend the team’s wining streak past four.

However, the Rams (14-15, 9-5 Western Water Polo Association) were not able to muster enough strength to continue their winning ways. CSU took on WWPA rival Santa Clara Saturday, with high expectations.

The Rams took an early two-goal lead but eventually lost the game 8-5. Four Rams had individual goals in the game, with leading scorer Sarah Ostling notching two.

Saturday afternoon’s game was more of the same as the Rams took on No. 16 Cal State Bakersfield. The Rams gave the “Runners a battle.”

Down 11-5 after the third period, the Rams put up four goals to end the game 11-9. The final burst of energy had the team thinking positive.

“We had missed opportunities in both games,” coach Mike Moody said. “Overall, the girls are playing well as a team.”

Yesterday the team was pitted against No. 18 UC San Diego (9-16). CSU fought the Tritons the entire game, never ending a period down by more than one point. Despite the effort, the game ended in SandDiego’s favor, 8-7.

“We pushed them and challenged them. I’m really proud of our girls,” Moody said. “If we had one more minute, it would’ve been ours.”

The Rams have had bad luck against top-20 teams this year going 0-7. Rams Orsi Nadasdy and Ali Pavlik led the team in scoring, each putting three in the cage.

That afternoon the Rams took on conference rival Cal State San Bernardino (9-7, 1-7 WWPA).

The Rams had seen and beat the Coyotes twice this season. The Rams continued their dominance over CSSB by slaying the eighth place team 13-9.

The Rams are not startled by going 1-3 in the final week of the regular season. They have better things to occupy their minds.

“We’re looking ahead to the conference tournament,” Moody said. “We want to pull off some upsets.”

The WWPA conference tournament begins April 24 in Santa Clara, Calif. The winner gets an automatic berth in the NCAA Water Polo Championships in College Park, Md.

Water polo beat writer Keith Robertson can be reached at sports@collegian.com.