Authors: Shelley Woll

A staffer working for a student government presidential ticket filed a formal complaint to the Elections Committee Thursday against top seat hopefuls Dan Gearhart and Tim Hole over concern that the company that made T-shirts for the campaigns gave Gearhart and Hole a significant discount.

The committee overturned the complaint at a Friday hearing, which neither campaign attended.

Ben Weiner, the staffer for Conrad Miller and Jake Donovan who filed the complaint, had looked into spending record for the campaign and found that Gearhart and Hole had paid $480 less than the other tickets and filed the complaint, citing fair market value standards, which dictate that Gearhart and Hole should have declared the expenditure at full value.

Donovan and Miller said the ruling made the issue a moot point and declined further comment.

Gearhart said that had he and Hole discovered a similar discrepancy in another campaign, he would have done the same thing.

“If things looked fishy, we would have done it as well,” Gearhart said. “It just sucks that it happened to my campaign.”

A similar complaint was filed last year against current president and vice president Taylor Smoot and Quinn Girrens, but after winning, the issue was dropped.

ASCSU Beat Reporter Shelley Woll can be reached at news@collegian.com.

More campaign news and candidate interviews here:

http://www.collegian.com/ascsu09/