Statistics show that one in every four college women are raped, 10 percent of the people who are raped are men, 90 percent of rapes are done by a familiar person and 60 percent of rapes go unreported. With statistics like these, the Campus Feminist Alliance at CSU finds it important to educate the community about these issues.

On Thursday, Odell’s Brewery hosted a fundraiser for the 18th annual “Take Back the Night” march and speak-out hosted by the Campus Feminist Alliance. “Take Back the Night,” an international event on April 23, aims to raise awareness and advocates for an end to sexual violence.

“I think (increasing awareness) is really important because it helps people realize it’s an important issue dealing with the people around them, the people walking down the street next to them. It’s not a distant issue, it’s very real,” said junior human development and family studies major and president of Campus Feminist Alliance Lara Adamson.

“Take Back the Night” will feature speak outs of allies and the former victims of sexual assault and sexual abuse, a mile-long march to Old Town, and a rally where this year, three poet-activists Alex Bartz, Jennifer Pacheco and Isis will do a poetry reading.

Before 2007, the event was gender exclusive and participating men would meet the women in Old Town. Presently, males are allowed to participate in both the speak outs and march.

According the official Web site, “Take Back the Night’s roots may lie in 1877 when women protested the fear and violence they experienced in the night-time streets of London, England.”

“Others believe that the first rally occurred in 1976 when women attending the International Tribunal on Crimes Against Women lit candles and took to the moonlit streets of Belgium to denounce the continuation of violence against women.”

Campus Feminist Alliance leaders said the fundraiser was imperative to the success of next month’s event.

“All the money we raise, every bit of the $10 of the cover charge goes to “Take Back the Night” . either for this year or next year,” Sarah Cooper, a senior ethnic studies and women studies major and treasurer of the Campus Feminist Alliance said.

Joey Luck, a junior business management major, said that the importance of the event is to raise awareness in the community as well as offer support to the survivors of sexual assault and sexual violence.

“(I’m involved because) it’s a cause I believe in,” Luck said. “(The community) witnesses it and understands that it’s a problem that we won’t stand for. People can come march with us and speak out. The (participants) benefit from knowing they aren’t alone and can share their stories. It’s an empowering event.”

Kate Bennis, a sophomore international studies major and member of Campus Feminist Alliance agrees with the event’s goals.

“It’s important to me because it’s important to raise awareness of sexual assault and violence,” Bennis said. “It’s important to raise awareness in the community and getting a bigger spectrum of people to come forward and speak against the same thing.

“Take Back the Night” will be hosted on April 23rd from 6 to 9 p.m. All people who are interested should meet in the Sculpture Garden to the west of the Lory Student Center.

Staff writer Justyna Tomtas can be reached at news@collegian.com.