Authors: Caleb Thornton

Typically, columnists like me save their final look-back article for the last week or two that they have left here at CSU.

Well, maybe it is because I have been reminiscing all week with the realization that I only have one month left before I graduate, maybe it is because I have simply been struck by the senioritis bug or maybe it is because I am just a little sick of writing about politics, but I’m going to go ahead and take a look-back at my college days and try to pass on a few pieces of knowledge I might have gained.

Do your best to never take an 8 a.m. class

Yes, there are some of you out there that might be inclined to get up early, get to the gym, get a healthy breakfast and then head to your early morning class, but for the rest of us, seeing 7:30 in the morning is something that we can easily do without.

I have no doubt that the majority of you have already committed to an anti-early morning class policy, and have made it a priority to keep your first class starting at, at the very least, 10 a.m. I also do not doubt that many of you who have signed up for an 8 a.m. class have done so simply because you had no choice (my Tuesdays and Thursdays are living proof of that fact this semester), and to those unfortunate few, I wish you good luck and a class without required attendance.

But to that even smaller group who actually relishes getting up early and “getting class done with,” I can only ask that for the sake of your fellow classmates you sacrifice that early start and work to make such early classes a thing of the past.

And while you are at it, how about you stop going to those 9 a.m. classes, too — you’re making us noon-time risers look bad.

Stop thinking about it and study abroad

I have been asked by a lot of people lately what I think the best thing that I did in college was, and the answer is always the same — studying abroad.

Aside from some of the high costs associated with the dollar to pound exchange rate (which got significantly better as soon as I left Scotland, of course) my time studying in Glasgow gave me some of the best memories and the greatest experiences that I have had while in college.

Not only did I get the opportunity to experience a culture, climate and history that is far different from the one that I have always known, but I was also given the chance to see so many places that I honestly was never sure I would be able to see in my lifetime.

If I had it my way I would do it all over again, or I would take a line from my fellow columnist Pheonix Mourning-Star’s playbook and just stay in school until I could see all seven continents — and yes, that includes Antarctica.

So, if you are a freshman, junior, sophomore, senior with another year left to go or even a non-traditional student, I urge you to at least do a little looking around, talk to the study abroad office and think long and hard about this opportunity. I guarantee it is an adventure that you will not regret.

Honestly, I have much more advice to give but unfortunately, for this week, I have simply run out of space. But don’t worry — I still have five weeks left and very little motivation to do the leg work that any sound argument requires, so there is no doubt that you will be reading the rest of my thoughts in the near future.

I’m sure you are looking forward to it already.

Caleb Thornton is a senior political science major. His column appears Thursdays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.