Authors: Matt Minich

On April 7, registered Fort Collins voters will vote to choose their new city government./ Voters in Districts 1, 3 and 5 will choose new city council representatives, and all voters can vote in the city mayoral race./

District 1 (north of Drake Road and east of College Avenue):/

Ben Manvel — As incumbent, Manvel takes pride in his work in changing the city’s budget and development approval processes./”I’m eager to do this again for four years,” said Manvel, who opposed the Glade Reservoir project, which is set to divert water from the Poudre River into a reservoir north of Fort Collins, benefiting 13 communities in Larimer County, but opposed by local environmentalists who say it could damage the river.

Manvel said he would consider revisions to the Three-unrelated ordinance, called U+2 commonly, which prohibits more than three unrelated citizens from residing together./

Vivian Armendariz — “I’m unhappy with how (Manvel) is running his district,” Armendariz said./ Armendariz said she is the only city council candidate living below the poverty line, and she said she hopes to improve outreach to lower income residents of Fort Collins and to expand public transit./ She opposes the Glade Reservoir project and U+2.

Ken Anderson — Anderson works as a realtor in Fort Collins and said that he would make job attraction a priority if elected./ He supports the Glade Reservoir project but said he is opposed to U+2.

District 3 (south of Harmony Road and east of College Avenue):/

Aislinn Kottwitz –/ A nurse at Poudre Valley Hospital, Kottwitz has made job attraction, creation and retention the centerpiece of her campaign./She’s endorsed by Diggs Brown, the current council member for District 3, who is not running for re-election because he is serving overseas./ Kottwitz said she opposes the Glade Reservoir project and U+2.

Dale Lockwood –/ “We need to make sure that we are using our money wisely,” said Lockwood, a CSU professor./ Lockwood said he hopes to improve the local economy by attracting “green collar” jobs./ He opposes the Glade Reservoir project and said he feels U+2 needs review.

District 5 (south of Prospect Road and east of College Avenue, includes CSU campus):/

Kelly Ohlson — The incumbent candidate, Ohlson has been involved in local politics for over 20 years./ He serves as Mayor Pro Tem and said he takes pride in his work helping to restructure to city’s budgeting process during his last term./He opposes the Glade Reservoir project and supports U+2.

Andrew Boucher — A local business owner and political columnist, Boucher said he wants to make Fort Collins a city that attracts jobs and businesses and wants the city to cut spending./ He supports the Glade Reservoir project and said he has opposed U+2 since its implementation./

Theodore Gates — The youngest of the candidates for city council, Gates is a History major at CSU./ He said he hopes to improve communication between the city and students and said he feels the city’s student population has gone underrepresented./He opposes the Glade Reservoir project and U+2.

City council beat reporter Matt Minich can be reached at news@collegian.com.