Authors: Laura James

Models done up in make up with Mohawks and vertically teased hairstyles danced down the runway as “Framing Fashion: The Final Cut” took over the Lory Student Center Main Ballroom Monday night.

Bright lights and hard-hitting rap and rock music accompanied the models, who set out to display the original garment creations of five graduate students and nine undergraduate students.

The annual spring fashion show, produced by Design and Merchandising undergraduates, highlighted the work of department seniors concentrating in apparel design and production.

Several designers, including alumna Aimee Morrow, chose to produce eco-friendly clothing lines.

Morrow, an intern for Volcom in California, described her work as “eco-friendly, southern-California lifestyle wear.”

“In Colorado there is an interest in ‘fashion’ other than high fashion, which allows one to explore any avenue they desire in apparel designing,” Morrow said. “The program at CSU was extremely challenging, and it pushed me to find out what I was really capable of.”

Linney Warren, a senior apparel and merchandising major, agreed, saying, “CSU definitely taught me the essential basics of clothing construction.”

Warren, whose line was called “Rose Parade,” had a more natural theme to her designs.

“I want whoever is wearing these dresses to feel like she can jump and play and feel natural and beautiful,” she said in an e-mail interview.

By using 100 percent silk, Warren hoped to design her line “without the usage of distracting prints.”

Warren, who interns for Diane von Furstenberg in New York, said she was “very excited to be here, seeing (her) stuff.”

Most of the designers featured, like Warren and Marrow, have been completing internships out of state, so undergraduates in the department worked through the semester to produce the show.

“It’s almost like you’re seeing the progression of a garment, from the sketch to the final product,” said event coordinator Alexandra Swanson. “The designers are really on top of the trends. You could see this stuff in stores.”

“You can tell that a lot of work went into this,” said alumnus Juwon Melvin. “It was really cool.”

The two-day event will conclude tonight at 7 p.m. in the LSC Main Ballroom with another fashion show. Also, students from the Design Merchandising 496 and Apparel Merchandising 546 courses will also be receiving awards.

Tickets are $8 for students and $15 for everyone else. By bringing in a gently worn garment, students can receive a $2 discount off the price of their ticket.

Staff writer Laura James can be reached at verve@collegian.com