Authors: Justin Warren

The CSU women’s golf team concluded the 11th annual MountainView Collegiate in Tucson, Ariz. in seventh place after three rounds, making it their seventh top-ten finish of the season.

“Top-ten was good in this field. It was an extremely strong field this week,” head coach Angie Hopkins said. “Of course we are disappointed because we wanted a top-five, but the putts did not fall today.”

The Rams ended Saturday’s 36 holes in the fourth position among the 19 teams competing, shooting 15 over par on the par-72, 6,263-yard MountainView Golf Course.

“Today was a really good day, especially the second round,” Hopkins said after Saturday’s rounds. “Stefanie (Ferguson), Brianna (Espinoza), Melissa (Martin) and Kasey (Claussen) all played really well this afternoon.”

However, a 17-over-par performance in Sunday’s final round dropped CSU from fourth to seventh in the final standings.

San Jose State University took the top spot in the tournament, shooting 2 over par as a team. Mountain West Conference foe UNLV placed second with an 11-over-par performance, Louisville finished third, shooting 15 over par, Indiana shot 20-over to give them fourth position, and Missouri rounded out the top five, shooting 21 over par.

Co-host of the MountainView Collegiate with CSU, Colorado finished the three rounds tied for 11th place with Oregon State.

Erica Moston of San Jose State took top place in the individual rankings, shooting seven under par for the tournament.

Leading the Rams with a 26th place finish and a seven over par performance was senior Stefanie Ferguson.

Freshman Melissa Martin concluded three rounds one spot behind Ferguson, tied for the 27th position with sixth other golfers, including teammate and junior Kasey Claussen. Martin and Claussen both shot eight over par for the tournament.

Coming off a fourth and seventh place finish in last week’s BYU Dixie Classic individual rankings, junior Natalie Stone and freshman Brianna Espinoza did not have such success this weekend. Stone shot 18 over par to tie for 72th place and Espinoza tied for 44th position, shooting 12 over par.

Next up for the Rams is the Mountain West Conference Championship, beginning April 16 and concluding April 18 in Seaside, Calif.

“It is anybody’s ballgame at conference. We will have at least a week or a week and a half to work on a few things, and I think we will be ready to go by conference time,” Hopkins said. “Conference time is the time when teams come out of the blue and perform well.”

Golf beat writer Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.