Authors: Erin Smith

Editor’s Note: Story updated at 11:15 a.m. Friday. Reflects recent communication from Sleep in Someone Else’s Box event coordinators alerting participants that event will end at midnight.

Though the frigid temperatures threatened to thwart their plans to promote awareness on campus tonight, advocacy groups throughout CSU will proceed with scheduled activism activities.

Designed to promote homelessness awareness and prevention, Sleep in Someone Else’s Box, an event in which participants plan to sleep outside on the Lory Student Center Plaza tonight, will continue as planned, beginning at noon today./

Additionally, Modern-Day Slavery, the indoor simulation of the three main aspects of human trafficking — sex trafficking, child soldiers and labor slavery — will continue tonight at the Lighthouse, a young-adult Christian living community located near campus on Wagner Drive.

“We won’t encourage students to stay all night, due to the temperature,” said Kate Quillin, event creator and intern for Homelessness Prevention Initiative. /

The event will end at midnight, according to a Facebook communication from Quillin sent Friday. Activities will continue as planned with several speakers, including State Rep. John Kefalas, D-Fort Collins, still attending, but will end early so “no one will have to be out in these extreme temps too long.” She encouraged participants to dress warmly.

Quillin said teams of students have been collecting funds for Homelessness Prevention Initiative, which will be donated the night of the event./Camping equipment has also been collected for Homeless Gear, an organization that distributes the equipment to the homeless./

“Especially in our current economy, homelessness is becoming a common issue in our community,” Quillin said, adding that the event will examine how to address the issue./

Sleep in Someone Else’s Box begins with a box-decorating contest at noon with judging at 4 p.m., Quillin said that hot chocolate has been donated by Mugs Coffee Lounge./

Put on by Not For Sale CSU, a young adult Christian living community, Modern-Day Slavery will walk participants through the lives of those enslaved in sex trafficking, labor sweatshops and as child solders, said Brittany Manning, a senior Human Development and family studies major and a founding member.

Participants will walk through rooms designed to portray those slavery situations, and volunteers will talk to participants as if they were objects of slavery./ Manning said that the volunteers will be working from a script./

“We’re not going to be doing anything inappropriate,” she said, adding that participants will not be literally enslaved./

Modern Day Slavery will lead groups of seven on these half-hour tours from 6 to 9 p.m. on Friday and Saturday, with additional tours from 1 to 4 p.m. on Saturday./The event is free of charge and all are invited to participate./?/?/

Staff writer Erin Smith can be reached at news@collegian.com.