Authors: Bryan Schiele

For the first time in program history, the CSU marching band is among five university marching bands that will be nationally recognized for excellence and creativity by the College Band Directors National Association.

The CBDNA chose CSU based upon a video submission of the band’s 2008 performance “Vegas Show.” The video will be shown at a recognition session for the CBDNA National Conference at the University of Texas at Austin on Friday.

Marching band programs from all college football conferences were eligible for the recognition, and submissions included videos from conferences known for their marching band programs including the SEC, Big 10 and ACC.

“I think it will put CSU on the map for marching band and show that we have a really good program,” said Brittany Phelps, a senior drum major.

Phelps, who will be returning as a drum major again next year, said she hopes the national recognition will make people take notice of CSU’s marching band program and hopes it will help boost student participation, but said the recognition was unexpected.

“I was actually quite surprised,” Phelps said. “Marching band at CSU isn’t usually anything huge.”

Miller Asbill, CSU’s associate director of bands, said he was “thrilled for the university and the students” and said the band worked hard during the fall semester.

The band first began working on “Vegas Show” a week before classes started last August. Band members were required to attend practice from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. for the entire week in preparation for their first performance at the CU-CSU football game on Aug. 31.

Throughout the course of the semester the band practiced about eight hours a week and showed up to football games three hours before kickoff.

“It’s nice to see people paying attention to our hard work,” said Mike Wenzel, a two-year senior drum major and a five-year band member. “I thought it was great to actually be recognized.”

An open sign-up period for new members to join the marching band began Mar. 23 and will continue through July 24.

Staff writer Bryan Schiele can be reached at news@collegian.com.

Click here to see a CSU Marching Band video