Authors: Justin Warren

The first two rounds of the BYU Dixie Classic concluded Tuesday afternoon in St. George, Utah, with the CSU women’s golf team sitting in second among the 15 teams competing.

The Rams shot a total of 607 as a team Tuesday afternoon on the 5,981 yard, par-72 La Entrada at Snow Canyon golf course to put CSU 31 over par for the first two rounds of the tournament.

“Any time you can be ahead of Florida and Washington, you are happy,” head coach Angie Hopkins said.

The University of Denver sits on top of the leader board with a two-round total of three over par, 28 strokes better than the Rams. Denver was the only team to shoot under par in the first round of the tournament, with a one under par performance.

“(Denver is) a solid team, definitely a top-ten program,” Hopkins said.

Sitting third behind the Rams is the University of Florida, shooting 36 over par. Washington is in fourth place with a 44 above par performance, and Mountain West Conference rival San Diego State rounds out the top five shooting 47 above par.

Tournament host BYU concluded Tuesday’s rounds in the seventh spot, 51 over par.

All five Denver golfers placed themselves in the top ten in the individual rankings with Stephanie Sherlock leading the way for her team shooting two under par.

Junior Natalie Stone currently leads CSU in the individual scoring with a five over par performance, which places Stone in a three-way tie for seventh place among the 82 golfers competing in the tournament.

Freshman Melissa Martin continues her impressive play, sitting 12th in the standings after totaling seven over par in the first rounds.

Junior Kasey Claussen is third among the CSU golfers, tied for 14th position, while teammates freshman Brianna Espinoza is tied for 16th and senior Stefanie Ferguson is tied for 26th place.

The BYU Dixie Classic will end with the final round Wednesday morning.

“We are going to rely on the veterans, Kasey, Stef and Nat tomorrow. I feel all three of them will put forth some solid rounds,” Hopkins said.

Women’s golf beat writer Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.