Authors: Shelley Woll

Student government Sen. Andy Moores and Paul Wade kicked off their campaign for the top seats for the Associated Students of CSU Monday, stressing the importance of getting student feedback before student government initiates decisions.

The fiscally conservative candidates hope to run their campaign how they would run their administration and have so far not spent any of the $2,000 allotted to each ticket.

“We want the students to know we are simply real guys,” said Wade, who is vying for the vice presidency.

The two, who describe their ticket as the “oddball campaign” of the election, want to foster open communication between student government and the CSU community by creating what they call “Plaza Talks,” which, Wade said, are the “dialogue model of FDR’s Fireside Chats.”

This would give their administration a chance to interact on a regular basis with students and hear their input about what the administration should do.

“We realize that we don’t have the answers,” Moores said. “Other people have great ideas, and we should tap into that.”

One of their suggested ideas for cutting costs is to have volunteers for the safe driving program, RamRide, use their own cars instead of paying for rental cars.

They also say money could be saved by promoting sustainability instead of spending thousands of dollars on recycling awareness on campus.

Current ASCSU President Taylor Smoot spent $60,000 to bring in 90 long-lasting recycling bins this semester.

“Instead of spending all this money on recycling bins, lets just use less paper,” Wade said.

They also are hoping to work toward a more transparent university budget because it is an “entitlement and unalienable right that students should have.”

Moores has experience in ASCSU as a senator and said he is qualified because he has seen how the Senate works. He wants to bring more action to student government, which he said is relatively ineffective.

Wade, as the only candidate running this year with no ASCSU experience, says his position is important to students because it brings an outside perspective to student government, which he said is often viewed as an “old boys club.”

ASCSU Beat Writer Shelley Woll can be reached at news@collegian.com.