Authors: Ian Bezek

The orthodoxy of global warming has really suffered over the past year as numerous heretics have dared to assault the doctrine of climate change.

The most serious of these attacks was a petition organized by the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine, which more than 31,000 scientists have signed, including more than 9,000 with Ph.D.s. The petition says, “There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gases is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth’s atmosphere and disruption of the Earth’s climate.”

While the faithful among the media would lead you to think that there is a consensus belief in global warming among scientists, the truth is that the number of agnostics amongst the scientific community is on the rise. For instance, listen to Ivan Giaever – winner of a Nobel Prize for Physics – who was quoted in a U.S. Senate report as saying, “I am a skeptic . Global warming has become a new religion.”

Or, let’s look at what the first woman in the world to receive a Ph.D. in meteorology, Joanne Simpson, had to say on the subject of global warming. Dr. Simpson said, “Since I am no longer affiliated with any organization nor receiving any funding, I can speak quite frankly . As a scientist I remain skeptical.”

Well, that is most interesting. Now that she no longer is receiving funding she can speak her mind. This implies that scientists who want to receive funding must not speak their mind lest they risk upsetting the applecart and cutting off precious funding.

If too many doubters come out of the woodwork, the global warming researchers, like ozone hole and acid rain researchers of yesteryear, may find their work terminated.

Like the Medieval Church, the scientific community can easily get tithes by scaring people senseless and then offering them a potion. Carbon dioxide is the new gremlin, and carbon taxes and alternative energy programs are the new holy water and magic amulets we can buy into to save ourselves from the frightening tales of doom the scientific community preaches.

Well, I’m here to ease your troubled minds with a simple message: This scare, like others before it, shall pass.

Just as it is difficult and dangerous to leave a deluded cult, scientists have found it hard to escape the church of global warming. Atmospheric physicist James A. Peden said, “Many (scientists) are now searching for a way to back out quietly (from promoting warming fears), without having their professional careers ruined.”

However, the scientists who have escaped from the stultifying grip of the global warming community have started to speak their minds.

Dr. Takeda Kunihiko, vice-chancellor of the Institute of Science and Technology Research at Chubu University in Japan, laid out the facts pretty bluntly, saying, “CO2 emissions make absolutely no difference one way or another. . Every scientist knows this, but it doesn’t pay to say so.”

Finally, let’s look at CSU’s most famous scientist, Dr. William Gray, a nationally known hurricane expert.

“They’ve been brainwashing us for 20 years. Starting with the nuclear winter and now with the global warming. This scare will also run its course. In 15-20 years, we’ll look back and see what a hoax this was,” Gray told the Denver Post.

That’s all global warming is folks, an elaborate hoax. Unlike William Gray, the main televangelist for the global warming religion is not a scientist at all. Al Gore, a lifetime politician, is good at getting crowds into a faith-driven frenzy. However, despite the incredible amounts of hot air Gore and his associates produce, the Earth will retain a nice temperate and stable climate with only small fluctuating variations due to the occasional sunspot.

Ian Bezek is a junior economics major. His column appears Tuesdays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.