Authors: Shelley Woll

With a total of 37 seats open in next year’s student government and a limited number of applications received for some colleges, 12 Senate contenders are guaranteed spots representing their respective schools.

Tallies for next year’s student government Senate election in the colleges of Agriculture, Applied Human Sciences, Vet and Biomedical Sciences, Intra-University, Natural Sciences and the graduate school saw either equal or lesser numbers of contenders to fill the seats open in each college.

33 students total are running for senate seats, said Zane Guilfoyle, head of the Associated Students of CSU Elections Committee.

Two graduate students applied, which was the highest number of graduate school applicants seen in the ASCSU elections yet.

ASCSU spokesperson Matt Strauch said usually there are no applicants from the graduate school.

The College of Liberal Arts has the most contenders, sitting at 12 candidates for its six Senate seats.

Warner College of Natural Resources had no applicants.

There are four tickets for student body president and vice president including:

Current ASCSU senators Conrad Miller and Jake Donovan

Shaun Reed, assistant director of legislative affairs, and Melisa Panagakos, senator

Daniel Gearhart, assistant director of legislative affairs, and Tim Hole, senator Andy Moores, senator, and Paul Wade.

Wade is the only candidate not currently involved in ASCSU.

The ASCSU Election Committee forbids any candidate from interviewing with local media until the campaign period begins today at 8 a.m.

If violated, a complaint will be filed and those candidates will be fined, according to ASCSU spokesperson Matt Strauch.

Guilfoyle said fine amounts are “up to the discretion of the (committee).”

The first event for the candidates will be the Plaza Debate on Friday from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Current ASCSU President Taylor Smoot said this could be a rough month for candidates as Election Day looms.

“I had to take out loans from my family members and basically miss a whole month of school,” Smoot said.

Voting will be available for students Monday, April 6 at 8 a.m. through Wednesday, April 8 at 4 p.m.

The results will be announced Wednesday, April 8 at the conclusion of the 6:30 p.m. ASCSU senate meeting.

ASCSU Beat Reporter Shelley Woll can be reached at news@collegian.com.