The Associated Students’ Government of CSU-Pueblo wants more voices on the CSU System Chancellor Search Committee. And they have taken their requests to the streets.

On Thursday, CSU-Pueblo ASG President Davis Fresquez and an indeterminate number of Pueblo students protested the current make-up of the committee charged with hiring for the newly independent chancellor position for the CSU System. The position, traditionally held by the president of the Fort Collins campus president, was split following the departure of former President Larry Penley.

The students of Pueblo want the CSU System Board of Governors to allow students from both campuses, as well as some of their own alumni to serve on the committee. (According to CSU-Pueblo Today, their student paper, our campus already has five alumni representatives).

Our own student government president, Taylor Smoot, has voiced concern over the lack of students on the committee and sent a letter of grievance to the BOG, but told the Collegian earlier this week he had no plans to hinder the selection process with further action.

In light of Thursday’s events, however, we think it’s time to reconsider.

As the new chancellor will be charged with representing the interests of the university and by extension, those of the students, in the state Capitol and elsewhere, it seems counterintuitive that they don’t have a voice.

Unlike what BOG Spokesperson Michelle McKinney says, the venue provided at the poorly advertised stakeholder meetings hosted prior to the committee’s formation are not adequate representation of student interests.

We, along with our sister campus, deserve voices on the hiring committee. It’s time to hit the pavement, Rams.