Yarbrough to sell homes

Authors: Jim Sojourner

Former CSU Police Chief Dexter Yarbrough placed his two Larimer County homes on the market earlier this month, just four days before university officials announced his resignation Friday afternoon.

The highest-paid officer in the state with a $156,000-a-year salary, Yarbrough listed one 6,300 square-foot Fort Collins home that boasts four bedrooms, 3.5 bathrooms and even a home theater. That home, at 1606 Streamside Drive, is selling for $699,000.

Another former administrator, Larry Penley, the CSU president who abruptly resigned last semester amid a shroud of criticism from students and faculty, also sold his expansive waterfront home last week for nearly $1.1 million.

Yarbrough’s other three-bedroom, two-bath house, which is located on a five-acre piece of land in Livermore, Colo., is up for $225,000.

Charles Perry, a local Re/Max residential broker, said Yarbrough’s high-class properties were listed March 2.

“Man, the police chief can afford to live over there?” Perry said about Yarbrough’s Fort Collins neighborhood.

“Wow!” he continued upon seeing the “mansion.” “We are paying the cops way too much.”

“Man, I need to become police chief,” Perry added.

The former chief’s resignation came just days after he was presented with the findings of a nearly three-month-long investigation led by the Colorado Bureau of Investigation.

Citing strict personnel guidelines, University officials declined to provide any details of the investigation or its findings, but CSU Interim President Tony Frank said the two “mutually agreed” that the beleaguered Yarbrough should leave CSU.

But Yarbrough was the subject of a Collegian investigation earlier this semester that found the former chief, who taught an undergraduate criminal investigations class, had encouraged students to cut corners and in one instance to supply illicit drugs for informants.

The Collegian’s phone calls to Yarbrough’s residence Wednesday were initially hung-up on until an unidentified man said Yarbrough had “no comment.”

Enterprise Reporter Jim Sojouner can be reached at tips@collegian.com.