Authors: Matt L. Stephens

As if there wasn’t enough excitement in the sports world already with March Madness and the World Baseball Classic, Ram football fans can get their fill of euphoria at the annual CSU Pro Day, which is being held this afternoon at 12:30 p.m. at the Moby practice fields.

Players from CSU’s 2008 New Mexico Bowl champion team, about 17 in total, will attempt to impress NFL scouts as they show off their speed, strength and vertical leap. One of the Rams in particular who is trying to lower his 40-yard dash time is running back Gartrell Johnson III.

“I’m pretty excited for this, it will give me a second chance to show off things that I didn’t do so well on at the combine, like my 40 time,” Johnson said.

According to http://nfldraftscout.com, Johnson “lacks the speed to beat linebackers to the edge or the top-end speed to pull away when gets to the second level.”

Despite what might have been a disappointing outcome at the NFL Scouting Combine in February, Johnson remains positive and is determined he can take time off of his 40-yard dash.

“I’m just working on my start and things like that. I gotta put my focus into that aspect because it’s a big factor in football and that’s kind of what [the scouts] want to see. So hopefully it will all work out.”

Depending on the weather, the event may be moved into Moby Arena and then The Edge Sports Center, on the southeast corner of the intersection of I-25 and Highway 14.

Football beat writer Matt L. Stephens can be reached at sports@collegian.com.