Authors: Laura James

The fourth annual Art and Science Exhibition at the Curfman Gallery in the Lory Student Center opened its doors to the public and rave reviews Friday afternoon.

A unique visual representation of CSU’s science and research-centered personality, the show featured art that was either inspired by or was an aesthetic display of science as created by hundreds of students and faculty from across the university.

“It’s very cool,” said Jeff Shearer, a artist seeking a doctoral degree in Chemistry. “I saw an ad and thought that this would be a good excuse to continue photographing plasma reactors,” equipment he works with in his chemical explorations.

“Plasma is really beautiful and chemically powerful; it’s inspiring,” he said of the most common form of matter, which gives stars their intensity in the form of ultraviolet or intense visible light.

Shearer and his fellow artists chosen to exhibit in the show made up a diverse group representing a multiplicity of CSU colleges and departments.

At the evenings’ awards ceremony, the top two awards, Juror’s Selection for Excellence and Best in Show, were both awarded to Danielle Sabey, a senior double major in math and art.

“I’m very surprised, I didn’t even think about winning when I entered,” Sabey said.

Sabey’s winning pieces were unique and intended to explain complex mathematical concepts in an artistic way. Sabey submitted two pieces: The first a more than 100-page math book filled with pages of equations and formulas and the second a diptych that featured color-coded DNA strands.

When asked if she would continue to mix her two passions in the future, she said, “I’m sure I will continue to work with math in my art. If you know something, it will change the way you look at the world, and the way you look at the world changes the way you do art.”

“Top Honors” was awarded to Anna Maddocks, an art education sophomore who entered a piece that illustrated the infinitely intricate movements of birds.

“I’ve always been an observer of nature,” Maddocks said. “This is a piece that can never be done,” she said, explaining that for the viewer, the piece never reaches completion and is on-going. “It’s made on the basis of a single bird and all the little movements of their bodies, and how as a group they act as one.”

Interim Provost Rick Miranda attended the opening and congratulated the students and faculty whose art was chosen for the exhibit.

“It’s nice to see how science has been able to inform art and how art has also been able to do the same for science,” Miranda said.

Biology professor Don Mykles was one of the jurors who helped select the more than 80 pieces for the exhibit.

“It’s fun to see the creativity and imagination of the students and faculty,” Mykles said.

“This was the first time I’ve judged and it’s great to see science come out in so many different forms – the diversity of media is amazing.”

The Art and Science Exhibit will be free and open to the public in the LSC Curfman Gallery until March 27.

Staff writer Laura James can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com.