Authors: Scott Callahan

Three CSU indoor track and field athletes will try to take advantage of the last regular season meet of the year on Saturday to make provisional-qualifying marks to compete in the NCAA national championship.

Weight throwers Alex Godell and Missy Faubus along with runner Ryan Friese will compete at Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa.

The top 14 athletes in their respective events will be guaranteed a chance to compete in the national championship meet next weekend. Possible athletes will be selected from a pool of 46 athletes that have made provisional qualifying marks for each gender. All of the pending athletes are going to be spread out across 17 events.

Senior weight thrower Alex Godell currently sits at 13th nationwide. Head coach Brian Bedard made a last minute call to send Godell to compete this weekend.

“I wanted to give him a fighting opportunity to maintain where he is at,” Bedard said of his want to give Godell a better chance to go to nationals.

Also in the heat for the national championship was Faubus, a senior, who is currently ranked 32nd in the national rankings with a throw of 50 feet and eight inches.

She will need improve her throw by about two feet. She has made that mark in recent practices and Bedard said she has a possibility to make it this season.

“(Faubus) has the potential to move up the list,” Bedard said. “Based on her practices, I think she can do it.”

Faubus has been to the outdoor national championships before, but has not yet had the honor of competing at the indoor national championship meet.

“I’m ready to have a good enough throw move up the rankings,” Faubus said.”I would be really happy, and I am really hoping I get a great throw. I feel ready.”

The other athlete going is Ryan Friese, a junior runner, who was the only CSU athlete to finish first in an event in the Mountain West championships. He started the season with a foot injury and has recovered well.

Friese is now ranked 48th in the national standings. He will be running in the 800-meter event, looking to improve his time of 1:50 to make this year’s automatic-qualification time of 1:48. Only two athletes have beaten the time this season.

“(Friese) has really been on the upside of his training and top of his game,” Beard said.

The 2009 NCAA national championship is scheduled for March 13 to 14 at Texas A&M.

Indoor track beat writer Scott Callahan can be reached at sports@collegian.com.