Since 2003, a civil war has been raging on in Sudan, with millions of civilians trapped in the middle of multiple warring factions, including the Sudanese government.

As a result, hundreds of thousands have been displaced from their homes and forced into refugee camps.

While they are suffering, many have died. Death tolls have now reached more than 400,000.

To put things in perspective, there are approximately 25,000 students at CSU. This means that if it were a CSU genocide, our entire campus would have been killed 16 times over, not to mention all of those that would be displaced.

But finally someone is being held accountable for the genocide.

On Wednesday, the International Criminal Court charged the president of Sudan with war crimes and crimes against humanity. While many other people were undoubtedly involved in the genocide in Darfur, this is a step forward.

Now, people are able to put a face with this civil war and, hopefully, the situation will become more real and people will ban together to help. Also, this is the first time that someone has been held accountable and indicted for the events that took place.

While we all need to join forces to do all that we can for the victims of Darfur, it is important that we remember the victims of the genocide in Rwanda and also those of the Holocaust. While the leaders of those genocides were punished far too late to relieve the victims, there may be hope for the victims of the Darfur genocide.