Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

Thinking about going to Mexico for Spring Break? You might want to think again.

The U.S. State Department issued a travel alert on Feb. 20 for those wishing to take trips to Mexico. The alert comes at a time of increased drug violence in Mexico, including violence against Mexican and foreign bystanders during attacks in public places.

CSU posted the announcement on their Web site Monday, warning students traveling to Mexico over Spring Break and in the next several months to “exercise extreme caution in unfamiliar areas and beware of your surroundings at all times.”

The U.S. department is advising U.S. citizens to only visit legitimate businesses and tourist areas during the daytime and to keep away from areas where prostitution or drug dealings may occur.

In other words, use common sense, CSU. If you feel uncomfortable or uneasy about where you are, get your butt out of there. Stay close to tourist resorts and travel in groups, stay on main roads and never go anywhere alone. Remember to give a copy of your travel itinerary to someone in the U.S. before you leave. Also, make sure that at least one person you are traveling with has a cell phone that is capable of being used outside the U.S.

In the past few years, reports have shown that crimes involving the kidnapping of U.S. citizens in Mexico, which are not rare, usually go unsolved. With that in mind, it is not too late to change your mind and stay in beautiful, sunny Fort Collins. But if not, stay safe, CSU.