Few of today’s elected leaders demonstrate any comprehension of the founding principles of our nation. The Constitution framers knew if the government followed the limitations, it couldn’t violate the principle of liberty and the nation would remain independently strong.

The Declaration of Independence, herald to the Constitution, addressed the corruption of power. Our current government demonstrates indifference to these ends:

“That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness.”

Our government is beyond the “alter or abolish it” zone. Both parties increase the deficit without regard for repaying the debt. Neither party comprehends checks and balances. When one party controls two branches, legislation comes from party hacks, disregards the needs of the people and ignores Constitutional structure.

Last week, despite Constitutional restrictions preventing such an act, Congress voted to give the District of Columbia a seat in the House.

The move was an apparent Republican trade for Democrat votes in the Senate on a bill relaxing D.C. gun laws. The Constitution only allows states to have seats in Congress, and a D.C. seat is a permanent Democratic Party gain.

It’s as if the elected leaders have neither read nor care what the Constitution says.

“Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.”

The PATRIOT Act originated from the White House during a climate of national panic and slammed through Congress and the Senate. The Senate vote count was 98-1 with one abstaining. Rather than take the political risk of appearing unpatriotic, every Republican in the Senate voted “Aye.”

Does this not sound frighteningly familiar to the “stimulus” bill that just passed? Did you watch last week’s Presidential Address?

House Speaker (and partisan hack) Nancy Pelosi orchestrated ovations for virtually every sentence spoken by President Obama.

The speech included this startling statement highlighting the parties’ similarities: “That’s why I pushed for quick action. And tonight, I am grateful that this Congress delivered and pleased to say that the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act is now law.”

Bush signed the PATRIOT Act not six weeks after Sept. 11. Obama orchestrated and signed the ARRA not four weeks after taking office. Both had same party legislative branches and both used threats of doom and collapse to push their partisan-agendas under cover of fraudulently titled legislation.

The Declaration of Independence stated of citizens: . “when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government and to provide new guards for their future security.”

Our government is letting us down. With every day in session since the Great Depression they’ve screwed up. It is our duty to throw off this despotic government. Both parties have abused and usurped our tax dollars and our ability to borrow from other countries.

Idiotic Keynesian economics be-damned, recession is the only event that can equalize the disparities in consumption and production, or supply-and-demand.

We must reinstate the values that once made this nation great. If not, we may not have the right to explain to our grand-children how we allowed liberty to give way to apathy, and eventually watched the greatest nation fail like too many others.

Winston Churchill said, “Americans will always do the right thing, but only after exhausting all other options.” Here’s hoping we’ve exhausted all other options — and that he was correct.

Seth Stern is a junior undeclared liberal arts major. His tirade appears Tuesdays in the Collegian. Send comments, criticism, vilification or scorn to letters@collegian.com.