Authors: Jessica Cline

This week, BusinessWeek magazine announced CSU’s College of Business as one of the nation’s best undergraduate business schools, ranking it 67th out of 101 business schools evaluated and 30th among the ranked public colleges.

Business professors said the ranking, in which CSU surpassed CU-Boulder — which ranked 89th — was a verification of the quality of education the college offers to its students.

“Receiving this ranking is an affirmation for us that our students and our recruiters think that we are doing a good job in educating students and preparing them for business careers,” Susan Athey, dean of the College of Business said.

BusinessWeek rated schools based on a methodology that included nine different measures including student satisfaction, post-graduation outcomes and academic quality. More than 23,000 graduating seniors from universities across the country responded to the survey, according to http://www.businessweek.com.

Additionally, about 600 corporate recruiters were asked to weigh in on the business curricula and top graduates nation-wide.

Athey said the fact that the same recruiters keep coming back year after year and hiring graduates from CSU’s College of Business is an indication that they “like what (the college is) doing and (is) adequately preparing students for their careers.”

Currently there are about 1,900 undergraduates in the College of Business and another 1,500 students university-wide are business minors.

“I think what makes (CSU) special is that the faculty and staff we have are very interested in undergraduate education, working with students and providing them with competition,” Athey said.

“I think that what really makes us special is we give our students the opportunity to have a lot of contact with the ‘real world’,” she said, explaining that the college provides students the opportunity to take extra workshops and classes and interact with state and local business experts.

Junior business major David Hansen said that hearing about the ranking gives him faith in the quality of the school.

“It is nice to know that we are getting one of the highest quality educations around,” Hansen said. “From what I have experienced, the business school has everything you need to succeed, they have great facilities and instructors as well as staying on the leading edge of technology.”

Students said the small class sizes and instruction from professors who have all worked in the business industry are factors they attributed to the overall quality of education.

“It is very helpful that the teachers have experience in the work that they are preparing us for,” senior Megan Long said. “I like the fact that the classes are small and all the teachers know who you are and want to help you.”

Construction on an addition to Rockwell Hall, which houses the College of Business, is underway. The $17.5 million expansion will feature a 112-seat grand auditorium, a financial data lab, 44,000 square-feet of program space and will be equipped with state-of-the-art technology.

“According to my students, a lot of students and their parents pay attention to these ratings,” Jon Clark, department head of Computer Information Systems, said. “It gives me a lot of pride in our college that we are ranked in the top and I think it will give students a greater pride in the area they chose to earn a degree in.”

Staff writer Jessica Cline can be reached at news@collegian.com.