Authors: Jeff Lemke

n a bitter article on Feb. 13 about California’s Proposition 8 that banned gay marriage in that state, Collegian columnist Alex Stephens equates the upholding of traditional marriage to a form of persecution against those who want to do away with that standard which has stood since the dawn of humanity.

He advocates the removal of the tax-exempt status for churches that speak up about this, apparently because they dared to involve themselves in the fight to uphold what they felt was right.

Not only would this be unconstitutional, this argument also reflects an intolerance and bigotry of its own.

Apparently it’s perfectly OK for anyone to advocate for liberal, secular and un-Christian causes, but it’s not OK for any religious individuals or groups to fight for what they believe God has spoken about and what they believe is best for society. It’s OK for the religious to distribute their money and food, but not their ideas.

Stephens wonders what happened to the so-called separation of church and state. The answer is that it has never existed in the way he and most people seem to think it has.

While the Constitution forbids the government from establishing a national religion or favoring one denomination over another, nowhere does it decree that churches or people of religious convictions cannot influence society and the government. If that were the case, it would be a form of religious oppression, which is precisely one of the things colonial settlers were fleeing in Europe.

This is all one country. What’s legalized in one state will often affect other states eventually, especially if it’s a foundational change to a universal institution such as marriage.

The stated goal of homosexual activists is to get liberal activist judges to legalize gay marriage in one or more states, make sure to get any residency requirements for gay marriage abolished, encourage out-of-state gay couples to come to that state to marry and then to have those couples return to their homes states and start legal fights there to force those states to recognize their marriages and finally legalize gay marriage too.

We cannot be so naive as to think that something like this will stay completely self-contained in just one or two states.

Stephens concludes by saying that the upholding of traditional marriage is “an atrocity that still haunts our landscape, even after the civil rights progress our country has made.”

He has apparently bought the idea that homosexuality is an immutable characteristic a person is born into and has no control over, much like their race and ethnicity. To date, no one has ever produced any irrefutable physiological evidence that indicates homosexuality is anything other than a conscious choice.

Society is far better served by marriage as we know it — as it was designed by God. By every measure, it is on average a healthier and more stable relationship, and a far better one for the raising of children. Further, not one study has ever shown that children are as well off being raised by two males or two females as they are by being raised by a mother and a father.

Healthier relationships and healthier children create a healthier and more prosperous society, and that’s something anyone or any group should be allowed to fight for without being penalized.

Jeff Lemke is a research associate with the Colorado Institute for Research in the Atmosphere at the CSU Foothills Campus. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.