Authors: Caleb Thornton

Last week, the CSU System Board of Governors approved the split CSU president and chancellor positions, a decision that could have a dramatic effect on how this university is run.

The Collegian set out to find students willing to share their views on the split and what they want in the future. Tyrone Reese, a senior psychology major and former Collegian columnist, and Colin Heffern, a senior landscape architecture major were kind enough to chat with us.

Tyrone Reese, senior psychology major

Q: Do you think it was a good idea for CSU to split the president and chancellor positions?

A: Yeah, I do think it’s a good idea because I think it will allow for each specialized area that they focus on to receive that proper attention. I think it is difficult making the president not only do stuff with the university but also focus on legislative stuff down in Denver. I think it would be a good opportunity for the chancellor and the president to prioritize.

Q: What type of person do you think the new chancellor should be?

A: Someone who cares about the needs of the students — the people that he is serving. I think the chancellor should have some knowledge of higher education and how education funding works and also a knowledge of politics — a knowledge of how the process down at the Capitol does work.

Q: For what do you think the chancellor should lobby down in Denver?

A: Having more money for the school is always a nice thing to lobby for.

Q: What should the president’s duty be here at CSU?

A: Specifically focusing on the needs of the students and the faculty here on campus. Making sure that CSU is a desirable environment not only for students who are here now but for prospective students as well as candidates for faculty and staff.

Q: What should the relationship between the new president and the student body look like?

A: The president should always be in tune with the students concerns, the students needs, the students desires for their campus. The students definitely pay a lot of money to attend here so their voices should definitely be heard. It should be a very visible relationship. The students should see the president (and) the students should know that the president is there for them.

Colin Heffern, senior landscape architecture major

A: I do think it was a good idea. I think a lot of what happens — especially when you have one president — is they just get torn apart in different directions, and they don’t have the time or resources to handle all the day-to-day operations of more than one university system.

A: I think the chancellor should probably be someone who is able to “schmooze” with the benefactors and the people who are going to be donating or be the public face of the whole university system somewhat. They’ll be kind of more in the background as far as the CSU main campus is concerned. I think the chancellor needs to be someone who is fairly well-versed in a business aspect, but as well able to put his or her best foot forward to bring in money to the system.

A: Probably lobbying for more Colorado money — money from the state. As you know, the funds (to) CSU are being dropped all the time . so I think it is important to try and get some money from the state as well as money from not only alumni but other people who might be interested in donating (to) CSU. But I think it is also important that the chancellor is able to get money but to also get students interested in CSU.

A: I think the president’s main duty should be to be the public face of CSU — the main campus — and to be available more or less. . (To) be available not only to administrators, but also to parents and students.

Q: What should the relationship between the new President and the student body look like?

A: I think the president needs to be involved with the student government a lot, listening to what they have to say. But I also think the president needs to be available. If somebody needs to talk to the president or something like that I think the president needs to be able to answer your questions. At the same time that is asking a lot as far as availability. I think they just need to be, you know someone who you see around campus. You are able to go up to and say hello to.

Staff columnist Caleb Thornton can be reached at letters@collegian.com.