Authors: Laura James

On Saturday, students and faculty from different departments submitted their work for the 4th Annual Art and Science Exhibit in the Curfman Gallery at the Lory Student Center.

There were over 100 submissions, and there will be anywhere from 40 to 80 pieces selected for the show, which opens Friday.

The final number of pieces will be determined by the jurors –/ sculpture professor Gary Voss, art history professor Pat Coronel and biology professor Don Mykles. The jurors are looking for works that display some sort of hybridization of both art and science, they said.

Microbiology professor Erica Suchman said last year’s Art and Science exhibit inspired him to submit a digital work of art this year.

“I love it [the concept of the exhibit],” Suchman said. “I’m a virologist, and this work is a digital piece about the beauty of viral images.”

Danielle Sabey, a math and art double major, said this exhibit really fits her work.

“It’s unusual to see art that’s math related,” Sabey said. “People are afraid of math, and my work is about breaking down those barriers so that people can experience math the way I do — things like abstract math theory, and the beauty of proofs can be explored by the viewer.”

Senior art major Nina Grosser’s work “explores biological ornamentation and taking the human body out of context,” she said. Grosser’s work includes handmade metal jewelry that she attached her wisdom teeth and her baby teeth to.

“I’ve had offers from people who want to buy these pieces, and I don’t think I’ll be able to — I’m like ‘these are my baby teeth’ you know,” Grosser said.

Art education senior Heidi West’s work is about “constellations and the cosmos,” she said. “I really hope I’ll be in this one — it’s such a good opportunity to be a part of a unique body of work.”

The opening reception for the exhibit will be on Friday from 4 to 6 p.m. Food and drink will be available and the awards will be given for Best in Show, Top Honors, Juror’s Award for Excellence, High Honors and Honorable Mention.

Staff writer Laura James can be reached at verve@collegian.com.