Authors: Keith Robertson

The CSU water polo team was able to stay undefeated in conference play this weekend.

The Rams (8-9, 6-0 Western Water Polo Association) were in Rohnert Park, Calif. for the Seawolf Splash tournament. The Rams split both days, winning two out of the four.

The Rams won their first game against WWPA rival California State East Bay, 10-6. It was the second time the Rams have defeated the Pioneers in as many weeks. The Rams knew they could lose when the two teams met last week, and the game was pushed into overtime.

The Rams wouldn’t let Saturday’s game be so narrow. Led by junior Sarah Ostling’s four goals, the Rams were able to overwhelm their opponent and come out of the pool victorious.

“It was an all around team effort,” coach Mike Moody said. “We controlled the game from start to finish.”

Later that day the Rams matched up with Cal Lutheran. CSU kept it tied until the fourth period, but when time ran out the Rams were behind 7-8. Sophomore Ali Pavlik’s career high four goals led the rams in the losing effort, although if the two teams played again, the Rams feel confident they could win.

“I think that if we played the game again, there would be a different outcome,” Moody said.

On Sunday the Rams first played Cal State Monterey Bay, winning 8-6. The win made the Rams undefeated in conference play, no matter the outcome of their final game. The Rams were without last week’s Player of the Week, Kallie Berry, and to make matters worse, the game was played outdoors in less than perfect conditions.

“It was rainy and cold,” Moody said. “The weather was an issue.”

The second half began with a tie but the Rams were able to come out with a win, outscoring the Otters 4-2 in the second half. The offensive star of the game was Orsi Nadasdy, who had her second career four-goal game.

The second game of the day was less satisfactory, as the Rams lost to the Pacific Tigers 9-7. The Rams, who led the game for the first three quarters, allowed three unanswered goals in the fourth.

“We played well,” Moody said. “We just didn’t finish the game.”

The team’s superb play this weekend put CSU just two wins away from tying last years’ overall record. The Rams will be off until spring break, when they once again head to California for the Loyola Marymount Tournament.

Sports writer Keith Robertson can be reached at sports@collegian.com.