Our View: On to the pros

This weekend college football players from around the country converged on Indianapolis for the annual stock show that is the NFL combine. The invitation-only event welcomed more than 300 players to showcase their physical and mental skills with a wide range of tests, all designed to give NFL scouts a better idea of the attributes they could be spending millions on in April.

Two players from CSU picked up invitations to the prestigious event — running back Gartrell Johnson and tight end Kory Sperry. While Johnson’s value to an NFL team, of which there is plenty, is not translated well into a 40 yard dash, Sperry shined this weekend.

Many had the 6-foot-4, 242 pound Sperry as a late seventh rounder, at best, heading into the weekend. Lingering concerns over his recovery from an ACL tear two years ago sank the senior on many draft boards.

On Saturday, Sperry was first among the 21 tight ends invited in the 60-yard shuttle (11.57 seconds) and the 20-yard shuttle (4.24). He tied for second in the broad jump (10 feet, 2 inches), tied for fourth in the vertical jump (33.5 inches), tied for fifth in the three-cone drill (7.00 seconds), and finished eighth in the 40-yard dash (4.77 seconds).

The numbers were undeniably impressive and will likely shoot Sperry up the draft board to bigger and better opportunities (i.e. contracts). But there’s still work to be done. Both Sperry and Johnson will join 15 of their teammates in CSU’s annual Pro Day on March 10, when pro scouts will come to Fort Collins to see what the Rams have to offer. By all indications, the combine was a great start for success on draft day.

So fight on you stalwart Rams, on to the pros. We’re watching back home, good luck in the coming months.