Our View – Git ‘er done

Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

Before President Obama’s pen hit the paper of the most expensive piece of legislation in U.S. history Tuesday in our fair state, he made another very important decision to send as many as 17,500 troops to Afghanistan beginning this spring.

“The situation in Afghanistan and Pakistan demands urgent attention and swift action,” Obama said. In other words, let’s git ‘er done.

Barack’s decision to fulfill, at least partially, Secretary of Defense Gates’ request for more troops in Afghanistan is one that puts the U.S. on a path towards eventual exit of the war-torn country.

The troops will mainly be deployed to southern Afghanistan, where poppy fields fuel the Taliban as they benefit off the trade for the heroin and opium ingredient.

There are currently 38,000 U.S. troops in Afghanistan and 146,000 in Iraq.

Sticking to his campaign promise, Obama will slowly pull troops out of Iraq and send them to Afghanistan to help with the efforts there, now that the Iraqis are starting to show signs of stability. No casualties were recorded at or near polling places during the country’s recent election.

With the additional American troop support flooding the southern border where the Taliban are known to be active, they’ll lock down the area, find the insurgents, stop them and eventually train the Afghans to protect themselves and aide them in stabilizing their national government.

We approve of Obama’s latest decision regarding the wars the U.S. is fighting in the Middle East. Let’s hope the increased support is what we need to stabilize, train and leave.